Monday, February 27, 2012

Daring to do it: Quick Bread

The Daring Bakers’ February 2012 host was – Lis! Lisa stepped in last minute and challenged us to create a quick bread we could call our own. She supplied us with a base recipe and shared some recipes she loves from various websites and encouraged us to build upon them and create new flavor profiles.
This month's Daring Baker's challenge was another one which made me think twice. At first glance, it looks too easy. Then comes the decisions. Ok, Lis gave us a real challenge - choosing what to make! The options truly are limitless..
My first offering was a strawberry-blueberry-oatmeal quick bread. I based the recip on the basic one in Lis' write-up with a few tweaks - including using part oats for that whole oatmeal thing...!


Next was a cranberry cornbread. I love dried cranberries, and Iwill add them anywhere I can. They were a fabulous addition to cornbread. Try it. You will like it!


Finally I wanted to do a savory quick bread. I had lots of ideas, but not enough follow-through. So finally I made a "bread" which I grew up with. Popovers. Though they sort of reverted to pop-unders, since they deflated before we were ready to eat them. They still tasted great. I really have to make those more often!


Lis, this was so much fun! I actually thought there would be more quick breads from my kitchen, but things just got away from me. I loved this challenge, and had a great time baking with you. It was amazing to see what the other everyone came up with for this challenge. I think you will think so, too... You won't be disapointed when you check out what the other Daring Bakers created!

13 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Ruth! I think all participants this month wished they could have done more. So much fun! I'm in love with popovers, yours really popped up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you did a wonderful job on this challenge I like the popovers which I did also. The cornbread sounds delicious. Lovely results. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun choices. I think this is one that we all could have had fun with for months to come.
    Love the cornbread cranberry combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first batch of popovers were "pop-unders" too! I love the addition of cranberries to the cornbread - delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blueberry strawberry oatmeal one sounds fantastic! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the different variables you did!
    I really wanted to try popovers but ran out of time and that cranberry corn bread sounds amazing!
    brilliant job on this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cranberry cornbread sounds so delicious! I will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic :) I don't know which to try first lol
    I am intrigued by popovers now. I'll give it a go :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your popovers look great to me! What do you mean they deflated, they still look fluffy. Nice job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those quickbreads are all yummy looking! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ! Wonderful baking in this month's challenge, I'm so going to have to try those popovers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a cornbread fan, but your cranberry cornbread- I'd definitely try that! }:P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Strawberry-blueberry-oatmeal! Can I pop in for a coffee please? :) It had to be delish!

    Pozdrawiam,
    Anula.

    P.S. Long time no see... I moved houses, had a new baby but... I'm back for good! :) Glad to see you're still here! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete